Home/Blog/NEET 2017 Eligibility

NEET 2017 Eligibility

What is NEET?

NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) is a qualifying entrance test conducted pan-India for students aspiring to pursue any medical courses at the graduate level like MBBS and BDS and also for some postgraduate courses in few selected medical colleges in India. For the graduate level courses, students passing out of grade XII school or equivalent from the Science Stream (with PCB combination) can appear for this test.

Eligibility Criteria

Students should meet the eligibility criteria before applying:

  • Minimum Age: Students should have completed the age of 17 years as or on 31st December of the year of admission.
  • Maximum Age: Maximum age limit is 25 years as or on 31st December of the year of admission. The reserved categories will be provided the relaxation of five years.
  • Passed/Appeared: Students must have passed or appearing in the 12th or equivalent exam with Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects.
  • Citizenship: Indian citizen and OCI candidates can apply for this exam.
  • Aadhaar Card: Aadhaar card is mandatory for all candidates except belonging to Assam, J&K and Meghalaya state.

Minimum Percentage in 10+2 or HSC for NEET 2017

Category Marks in 10+2 or HSC examination
General 50%
SC/ST/OBC 40%
PH/PWD 45%

NEET Eligibility Criteria for State Seats Quota

It should be noted that around 85% of MBBS/BDS seats would be reserved for states counseling and the rest 15% seats would be allotted for ALL India Counseling at the central level. Candidates hence have to fulfill the following criteria:-

  1. Candidates should be the resident of the respective state.
  2. Candidates should have a proof of their residency.
  3. Candidate should have completed or pursuing their schooling (XII) from the state.

Eligibility for All India Quota Seats in NEET

  1. Candidates have to be a citizen of the country.
  2. Candidates should be at least have an age of 18 years.
  3. The upper age limit for the general category would be 25 years, and for SC/ST there is a relaxation of 5 years.
  4. For candidates hailing from Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Jammu & Kashmir, they would be eligible for admission only in the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) Pune.

From the above discussion, you might have gathered a rough idea on how the authorities have framed the eligibility criteria for NEET exam. For further details, it is advisable that you refer the CBSE’s site for NEET exam in case of additional clarifications.

2017-05-09T06:36:59+00:00 Categories: Blog|0 Comments

About the Author:

Download App