The festival of Dhanteras is celebrated as a five-day Diwali celebration all over India. Dhanteras is a form of the word ‘Dhan’, which means wealth and ‘thiras’, which means ‘terahve’ i.e. 13th, hence it is the festival celebrated on the thirteenth moon day of the Krishna side in the Kartik month (October-November) of the Hindus, which is celebrated just two days before Diwali, in which people pray to God to get blessings of prosperity and good health. Dhanteras is also called ‘Dhantriadashi’ and ‘Dhanvantari Triadashi’.
Date of Dhanteras and auspicious time to
Start date: 05 November 2018, at the end of the day, the date of the trayodashi duration: 05 November 2018, at night, for the night of 11 th 46 minutes,
Dhanteras Puja Muhurat: November 05, 2018, from 06:00 to 20 minutes to night 08 by 17 minutes.
Total duration: 01 hours 57 minutes
Pradosh period: 05 November 2018 evening from 05 hrs 42 minutes to 8 pm to 17 minutes.
Taurus Period: November 05, 2018, from 06.00 a.m. 20 minutes to 8.00 a.m. 18 minutes.
Story No #1
According to ancient legends, the celebration of Dhanteras shows the story of the king Hima’s sixteen year old son. It was foretold that he died on the fourth day of his marriage due to snake bite.
Though he had been married for only four days, but his newly married wife knew about this prediction earlier, therefore, she had a pile with her coins made of precious metals of gold and silver at the entrance to her husband’s bedroom, kept all her jewelry outside and fill the entire place with the lamp.
Then, during the night, she used to tell stories many times and sang songs to keep her husband awake. It is believed that when Yama, the god of death came in a form of a snake, he could not find the prince and he was unable to enter the room of the prince because he was amazed at the beauty of the bright red glitter and shining lights and the light of the jewels. And he climbed the heap of jewels and coins and began to listen to the melodious songs of prince’s wife.
In the morning, he quietly relieved the prince’s life and went away. In this way, the young wife saved her husband from death. Therefore, this day is also known as ‘Yamdipadan’.
Another popular story is also linked to this festival. It is believed that on this day, many gems emerged during the “Sagarmanthan” conducted by Gods and demons. Lord Dhanvantri (God’s doctor and the incarnation of Lord Vishnu) appeared at the end and he came out with the holly-water.
The festival of Dhanteras is celebrated with great enthusiasm and joy. On this festival, people worship Goddess Lakshmi Ji and Yama, the god of death. We receive blessings from good health and Goddess Lakshmi as prosperity in the form of prosperity. People decorate their homes and offices.
People decorate the entrance of the traditional courtyards with “Rangoli”. Small feet signs of Lakshmi ji are made from rice flour and vermilion, which indicates the long-awaited arrival of Goddess Lakshmi. Buying new utensils or coins made from precious metals such as gold or silver on Dhanteras is very popular because it is considered auspicious and brings happiness and good fortune to our family.
Dhanteras Puja — worship of Dhanteras
On the day of Dhanteras, it is celebrated in the form of ‘Pooja of Lakshmi ji’. People sing devotional songs to Goddess Lakshmi ji. To remove all the sorrows, small lamps (deepak) are lit. On the night of Dhanteras, people burn the lamp all night long. Traditional sweets are made and offerings are offered to the mother goddess.
Dhanteras is celebrated in different parts of India in different ways. This is a very important festival for the business community of western India. In the state of Maharashtra, people mix the dry coriander seeds together with jaggery and prepare it by mixing it and it is called ‘Naivedya’. In rural areas, farmers decorate their cattle and worship, because they are the main sources of income. In South India, people consider cows as incarnations of goddess Lakshmi, and therefore people of particular respect and honor the cow.
What to buy on Dhanteras?
Dhanteras day is considered to be auspicious for shopping. On this day people add new stuff to their home. It is believed that the stuff bought on this day is never bad and is very auspicious. Nevertheless, these things must definitely be bought on Dhanteras:
– People usually buy gold or silver jewelry this day. But it does not necessarily mean that your pocket also allows it. But there is a festival, it is also necessary to celebrate it. In this case, you can buy gold or silver coins.
– On the day of Dhanteras, the god of wealth, Kuber, is worshiped and he is very dear to silver. So it is considered good to buy silver this day. It is said that by purchasing silver on the occasion of Dhanteras, there is a rise in success, prosperity and austerity. Not only this, silver is also considered to be a symbol of the moon, which brings coolness in the life of a human.
-Buying metal utensils is considered auspicious on this day. Especially silver and bronze are considered as the main metal of Lord Dhanvantari. Thus, silver or bronze utensils must be bought on this day.
– It is believed that Lord Dhanvanthi was born with oysters in the hands of the sea monastery. Therefore, it is considered auspicious to buy a pot of water on Dhanteras day.
– On this day traders buy new account books, who are worshiped on the occasion of Deepawali.
– On this day, definitely buy different sculptures of Ganesha and Lakshmi. On Diwali day, these idols are worshiped.
– On this day it is considered to be auspicious to buy Shri Yantra of goddess Lakshmi ji.
-Apart from this, you can also get the other things you need for your home, such as fridge, washing machine, mixer-grinder, dinner set and furniture.
– It is auspicious to buy a vehicle this day. But according to the assumptions, in the Rahu period the vehicle should not be purchased.
– Mother Lakshmi is very dear to the coriander. On Dhanteras, coriander seeds should definitely be bought. It is believed that there is no shortage of money in the house of coriander seed. After Deepawali, these seeds of coriander should be planted in the courtyard of the house.
-On the day of Dhanteras, buy a new broom. It is believed that the broom removes poverty. It is said that Lakshmi resides in a clean house and is the best way to clean sweep.
Do not buy on the day of Dhanteras?
However, it is considered auspicious to buy new stuff on Dhanteras, but according to the assumptions, buying some items on this day should be avoided:
– According to beliefs, we should not buy glassware on Dhanteras day.
– In Hinduism, black colour is not considered auspicious. So, It is said that on the day of Dhanteras, black things should not be purchased.
– On this day, do not buy sharp things such as scissors and knives.