In the initial days, computer science was being taught as part of maths and engineering subjects. This subject later has emerged as a separate engineering field. A Computer Science Engineer is skilled in programming languages, program design, software, and computer hardware. They also have basic knowledge of electrical engineering, mathematics, and linguistics.
Computer Science has been a growing field since its inception. The candidates who intend to opt for course should have minimum eligibility criteria as per the post applied for. Computer Science engineers are qualified to deal with the software and hardware of programming computers and laptops.
Qualification and Eligibility for Computer Science Engineering:
The preparation for CSE can be started from Class X. The secondary school subjects lay foundation for preparing the students for the upcoming entrance exams. The students should have Maths, Physics and Chemistry as their subjects in Class XII. Many parents start coaching from an early stage to master them in basics of the subject and also to get good rank in the entrance exams. Degrees from a reputed organization can help students get direct placements after completing the course. The companies pick bright students with good package. It becomes easy for a fresh graduate to climb the ladder faster provided the start is good. Students should have following qualification and eligibility to be a Computer Science Engineer.
Diploma: 10+ 2 passed candidates can join a diploma course; the duration of course can vary from 2 to 3 years
Bachelors Degree: The candidates are required to pass 10+ 2 and should have scored well in entrance exams which are conducted at state and national levels to get admission in 4 years engineering course. IITJEE, AIEEE, BITSAT are the major entrance exams to get admission in reputed college.
Master’s degree: The candidate should have a valid bachelors degree in computer science engineering and must have qualified GATE entrance test.
PhD: The candidates who intend to study further can join PhD programs which are offered by various universities and colleges across the nation.
Apart from regular courses students can also add degrees to the portfolio in distant modes, increasing their value and worth in the market.
Subjects of computer science engineering:
The major subjects of computer science engineering are
- Cloud Computing
- Compiler Design
- Computer architecture and organization
- Computer Networks
- Data Base Management Systems
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Distributed Computing Systems
- Operating Systems (Unix Programming)
- Software Testing
Skills of Computer Science Engineer:
Inorder to be a successful professional the candidates have to be proficient both at the subject and the soft skills. Subject knowledge helps you in overpowering the technical situations and soft skills help you in maintaining a good team relation. Here are few skills which a computer science engineer must have
- Mathematics: The computers run based on data, which is the mathematics. A computer engineer should have excellent maths. A person has to be good in maths inorder to understand and solve problem associated with the software and hardware.
- Software Engineering: This is the basic profile of a software engineers. They are responsible for designing, write the code and debug the software’s. A software engineer should be able to perform successful test procedures.
- Computer Hardware: A software engineers is well-versed with the comments of computer. Not just Windows computer but also Mac, Linux and other advance versions.
- Programming Languages: The candidate has to be proficient in computer programming languages and should equip with the latest versions. There are a number of programming languages to create computer programs. The advanced languages are SQL, JAVA, Java Script, C #, Python, PHP, C++, Ruby on Rails to name a few.
- Problem solving skills: The engineers should be good in handling troubleshooting in a short span of time. The candidate should be able to identify the problem and take measures to avoid the problems in future. The root cause of the problem should be solved to avoid recurrence of the issues. Small mistakes in programming can ruin the entire program. Computer coding is important in programming of the software. Computer science engineers should master trouble shooting and problem solving skills.
- Learning: It is a continuous process. Learning does not just means having qualification, it is about learning new software updates and the hardware launched in the market. The employer looks for the candidates who are quick learners and master the skills soon.
- Communication Skills: All individuals have to work in co-ordination with team members. Lack of communication can result in failure of the project and will hinder the team progress. An efficient communication is important for problem solving.
- Patience: Coding is the most important aspect of computer science engineers’ job profile. The candidate has to patiently sit at one place and continue coding the whole day. Patience is key to success to especially in cases of trouble shooting.
- Management Skills: It is quite important in any industry. It is important to manage the work as per the schedule and coordinate with all the team members for better outcome. Management skills are important to get promoted in the organization.
These skills of Computer Science Engineer make him an ideal candidate for the high posts!
A computer science engineer is trained and experienced in
- Design and development of software application
- Design and development of the hardware components of computers & laptops
- Manages the software, hardware & networks
- Writes code and algorithms for operating systems like Windows, Linux etc.
Career Options of Computer Science Engineering:
A computer science engineer can find placement in a number of industries which offer a decent pay package. The Career Options for Computer Science Engineers along with the profiles is mentioned here
- Software Developers:They are involved in various processes of software development such as design and coding, computer programming, project management, etc. The engineer has to be proficient in programming languages
- Hardware Engineers:They design, develop, test, and install computer hardware (computer chips, circuit boards, systems, modems, keyboards, and printers).
- System Designer:Professionals involved in system designing, Logical & Physical Designing. Logical designing can be performed with the structure & characteristics such as output, input, files, database & procedures, etc.
- System Analyst:They research and analyse the existing problems and execute solutions for the problem. Computer Science Engineers helps company develop the software and recommend software updates and coordinate between business development teams.
- Networking Engineers: Designing, implementation, and troubleshooting of computer networks.
- Database Administrator (DBA), Database Coordinator or Database Programmer in IT sector:Design, implement, maintain and repair an organization’s database.
A qualified computer science engineer can get job in big companies such as Google, Yahoo, Hewlett-Packard, International Business Machines Corporation and Toshiba Corporation.