Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya was born on 15 September 1861. He was a prominent Indian engineer, scholar and statesman. He graduated from University of Madras in Bachelor of Arts (BA). He also pursued civil engineering from College of Science in Pune. Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya passed away in 1962. Happy Engineers day in India is celebrated on 15th September, in fond memory of Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya’s. His contribution towards improving water management has revolutionized the irrigation and drinking water system in India.
How is Happy Engineer’s Day celebrated
Happy Engineers day in India is celebrated at various institutions and organizations by highlighting the importance and achievements in the field. You can celebrate engineers’ day with a number of ideas, here we list few
- Speech competition
- Essay competition
- Developing innovative design for a project
- Gaming Contest
- Challenge hunt
Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya’s Achievements
• Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya designed and patented automatic water floodgates at the Khadakwasla reservoir in Pune
• Chief engineer for the construction of the Krishna Raja Sagara dam in Mandya district
• Chief engineer of the flood protection system for the city of Hyderabad
Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya’s Awards and Honours
• Commander of the British Indian Empire- by King George V in the year 1915
• Bharat Ratna- by the government of India, the highest civilian honour
• Member of the London Institution of Civil Engineers
• Referred as the precursor of economic planning in India.
• 19th Diwan of Mysore, who served from 1912 to 1918
Happy Engineers Day India 2018 year wise Theme
2018 – “10Digital Transformation: A New Industrial Revolution”.
2017 – “Role of Engineers in a Developing India”.
2016 – “Skill Development for Young Engineers to Reform the Core Sector: Vision 2025